Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Resurrection of L'il Mo?


For those not in the know, when Sarah was a zygote (in Egypt-land, let my Sarah go!), we had no idea of the gender of my beloved poopa-loo. Consequently, we referred to her as Li'l Mo. This was short for (and I am not kidding) Maurice Rogelio Hieronymous Tecumseh T'ien Shih Shabazz- our multicultural baby. Well, with a new baby in the womb, I think it's time to resurrect L'il Mo. Only I have found a new name to reflect the pacifism that I (and hopefully my wife) have embraced: Maximilian. Here is his story:
The Setting: Modern day Algeria, the Year: 295 AD/CE
Brought before the proconsul Dion, Maximilian refused enlistment in the Roman army saying, "I cannot serve, I cannot do evil. I am a Christian."
Dion replied: "You must serve or die."
Maximilian: "I will never serve. You can cut off my head, but I will not be a soldier of this world, for I am a soldier of Christ. My army is the army of God, and I cannot fight for this world. I tell you I am a Christian."
Dion: "There are Christian soldiers serving our rulers Diocletian and Maximian, Constantius and Galerius."
Maximilian: "That is their business. I also am a Christian, and I cannot serve."
Dion: "But what harm do soldiers do?"
Maximilian: "You know well enough."
Dion: "If you will not do your service I shall condemn you to death for contempt of the army."
Maximilian: "I shall not die. If I go from this earth my soul will live with Christ my Lord."

Courtesy of Saint of the Day
What do you think? I thought Maximilian had a smoother ring than Telemachus Bonhoeffer

[TELEMACHUS (?--404): Christian monk and martyr. Opposed Roman gladiatorial combats. Traveled from Asia Minor to throw himself between the gladiators with a cross in his hands, calling on them in the name of Christ to stop fighting. Beaten to death by furious spectators. His death caused such a sense of revulsion that the Emperor Honorius issued a rescript forbidding all gladiatorial combats. ] But hey, I'm easy, if you think L'il Telly-Bon (as we'd call him) is less likelyto get beat up here in the ol' US of A . Let me know.
jefe

4 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

personally i think L'il Telly-Bon sounds a bit too much like taliban so i vote to stick with L'il Mo.

1:05 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger jefe said...

susie, susie, susie.

1:39 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger jefe said...

Only you would think that about poor Telly-Bon. Racial profiling piece of monkey dung. Sorry, it must be the name.

3:00 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger kate debaene said...

how about dwayne-ito?

10:02 PM, June 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home